Is Online Learning for Me?
I am motivated to learn.
- I ask lots of questions as I learn.
- I think a lot about the things I am learning.
- I make connections between what I am learning and my own interests.
- I have thought about how taking an online course will help me reach my personal learning goals.
I have independent learning skills.
- I am comfortable learning in an environment where learners take responsibility for their own learning processes.
- I am comfortable waiting for up to 24 hours for responses from my teacher and classmates.
- I am able to devote extended time at each sitting (60 minutes or more at a time) to complete online coursework.
- I am able to devote 20-40 hours of time each week to my online learning.
- I can prepare and study for exams on my own.
- I am not a procrastinator.
I have good communication skills.
- I regularly reach out to my teachers when I need help.
- I am comfortable communicating with my teacher online through emails and messages versus regular face-to-face contact.
- I am an average to above average reader.
I am organized.
- I do most of my assignments without adults having to remind me.
- I manage my time well.
- I pay attention to deadlines.
- I make a plan when I have lots of things to do so I can get it all completed.
- I am good at setting goals and keeping them.
I have basic technical skills.
- I can use basic word processing software.
- I can upload and download documents.
- I read directions and view all of the information provided to me before clicking or contacting the teacher for help.
I know how to create a good study environment.
- When I am working on my online courses, I can avoid my cell phone and opening other browsers so I don’t get distracted.
- I am persistent and work through problems without getting easily frustrated.
- I can find a quiet, well-lit space to do my online coursework.
I am a problem-solver.
- If I face a technical issue and have a deadline to meet, I can find another way to get my work done.
- Ex. If the internet goes out at my house, I will go to a library, a neighbor’s or friend’s house.
- Ex. If my computer crashes, I will reach out to a friend or neighbor to borrow a device.
- I keep trying when I am faced with challenges.
- I have a back-up plan if something happens to my computer or my schedule suddenly changes.
I understand basic online etiquette.
- I consistently use online tools in positive ways.
- I think through ideas presented before I respond online.
- I read through the messages and posts I make to be sure they sound kind and positive before I send them.